Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Curiosity of Dreams

Do you dream in color? Do you remember your dreams? Are they prophetic? Do you dream about people you've loved that have passed on? Do you have themed dreams; dreams in which you have the same recurring theme over and over again?

I have been giving the topic of dreams a lot of thought the last few days. I always dream in color, and most of the time I remember my dreams - some better than others. Occasionally I have a prophetic dream and I also occasionally dream about loved ones who have passed away.

But, most of all, I have recurring dreams. Over and over again. I have three general themes that have recurred many times throughout my life.

1) I've had a LOT of tornado dreams, but I haven't had one lately. I have always held a fascination with tornadoes and even saw one once, a tiny one, swirling around up in the sky before it dissipated into nothing. I've never experienced a tornado - and hope I never do - but the dreams about them are quite real and vivid. I read that dreams about tornadoes suggest that "I am experiencing extreme emotional outbursts and tempter tantrums" or if I see several tornadoes (which I often do) represent "people around me who are prone to violent outbursts and shifting mood swings or could symbolize a volatile situation or relationship." Well, that's a bunch of hooey. No one close to me behaves even remotely close to this manner, including myself. I think I dream about tornadoes because I like tornadoes. I do tend to dream about them more in the spring, when it is more likely to have them around in real life.

2) I dream about just moving into a brand new house. Not just any house, but a really spectacular and extraordinary work of architecture and I am always amazed as I walk around and look around the rooms that this is my new home. The houses are always different, sometimes modern, sometimes contemporary, sometimes Victorian, but the general theme is always the same. Incredible colors and impeccable interior design and amazing ceiling heights and sweeping staircases. Definitely homes out of a fantasy land. I am always sad when I wake up and realize I am still in my humble abode. I can't really find an appropriate translation to this dream, so I leave it as is, and consider it just my desire for bigger and better things - which we all have.

3) Now this one is weird, and this is the theme I dream about the most. I am always needing to find a public restroom and either the restroom is not private enough, or the stalls aren't private enough, and sometimes the toilets are really out of place in unusual places and sometimes they are quite nasty or dirty. Not all the time though. Sometimes I have to go so badly I don't care and use a nasty toilet anyway (which I would never do in real life). This theme recurs at least three or four times a week. I understand that bathroom dreams are quite common though, and I found this translation to be especially interesting:

"To dream that you are in a public restroom with no stalls signifies your frustration with not getting enough privacy. It may also indicate that you are having difficulties letting go of old emotions. You are afraid that if you reveal these feelings, that others around you will judge and criticize you."

This definitely relates to me. And, this very thing was part of the motivation behind starting this blog. I do feel as though I will be judged and criticized and I definitely have issues of privacy. My husband does too, maybe even more so. We are both private people, but we are thrust into a situation currently that prevents us from being as private as we'd like. I'm really not ready to go into that just yet, but in due time, I'm sure. This blog is my way of opening myself up and getting myself out there - not with people I know (yet), but with people who just happened to be "passing by" on this virtual blog block (if that even happens, I'm not sure...)

All I know is my husband does not have these bathroom dreams, but I do. I ALWAYS wake up with an intense need to pee. So, I don't know if this theme is so much the privacy issue as it is my bladder telling me to WAKE UP so I can GO!!!! NOW!!!

Honestly, I am amazed I have never wet the bed.

Being 46 years old is interesting. I must get up at least twice a night to go. Thank God my bathroom is less than ten steps away. I shudder to think how cave women used to have to deal with it. Doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

So, now that it's late, I'm off to bed. Wonder what I will dream about tonight?

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment