Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wanna quit smoking? Just kill yourself!

Have you noticed the rash of drug commercials on TV lately? My hubby and I are often astounded as to the number of side effects each drug may have, and we are left scratching our head as to why anyone would choose to take such drugs if the side effects are worse than what they're taking the drug for.

Take Chantix for example. This is a new drug on the scene to help people quit smoking. Sounds great, doesn't it? A drug that can actually help smokers quit? A dream come true! My hubby is a smoker and would love nothing more than to quit, but he admits his desire for smoking still overpowers his desire for quitting, so he still smokes.

Chantix lists a whole bunch of negative side effects, and some of them are really eye-popping. Changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depression, anxiety, panic, aggression, anger, mania, abnormal sensations, hallucinations, paranoia, confusion and suicidal thoughts or actions.

Suicidal thoughts??? For real? Good grief! Sure, you'll probably kill yourself, but you'll at least stop smoking! Yeah, that's really something we all want to strive for! As a non-smoker, I think I would rather take up smoking than to risk my life taking this drug.

Nah, give us a drug that has positive side effects. Right? How about a drug that makes you happy, easy to get along with, relaxed, mood-boosting, blissful, cheerful, contented, delighted, ecstatic, joyful, elated, grateful, jolly, jubilant, thrilled and satisfied with life? Doesn't that sound like a better drug to take?

Actually, there is one that will do most of those things, but, sadly, it is illegal. And this is another head-scratcher for me. Why do they make drugs like Chantix legal and drugs like marijuana illegal? I don't get it. Wouldn't the government prefer the people to be happy and satisfied with life than disenchanted and suicidal?

I don't smoke pot. I have in the past, but I haven't for many, many years. But, I think I probably would enjoy a good toke once in a while if it were legal to do so. Like a lot of people, I'm just playing the waiting game. A friend of mine once told me that they were able to quit smoking cigarettes simply by smoking pot.

Now, if you want a drug to help quit smoking, there ya go!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment