Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Bambi Impression

Today was a typical Tuesday for the most part. My 7 year old decided to give me a major stink fit this morning getting up and ready for school. She is SOOO not a morning person. Sigh! We had words. I took away her computer priveledges for this evening. After dinner my hubby and I sat her down for a talk. We worked out a few things, so now we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Other than that, it was a quiet day. The phone rang only once, shortly before noon, and it was my daily call from my mother, who lives in Florida. She checks in with me every day. Sometimes I have things going on and have to cut the call short, but most days we enjoy our midday chats and I dread the day when I won't have them anymore...

Our weather is finally warming up, so the snow is about 95% melted but the pond across the street is slow to thaw out. The farmer has been back with a shovel to break up the ice again, but it just refreezes overnight. This afternoon I watched in horror as a young calf made a very good Bambi impression, slipping and sliding all over the ice. I was so afraid he'd break through the ice and drown. He was way out in the middle of the pond! I was prepared to bolt for the pond if I had to, but he managed to slip and slide back over to the edge, where he did break through, but it was shallow enough that he just got out. Whew! That was a close one. I have no idea how I would have saved him if I had to, but I was sure ready to try. I'm just amazed that the pond was that frozen. I've never seen it that solid before.

Too bad we don't have any ice skates!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment